Saturday, January 8, 2011

My world in four parts?

     Physically I suppose that works.

     Part one was Cleveland, well to be technically correct Cleveland Heights, where I was born and grew up, the oldest of five children. Normal life, normal sibling rivalries, just—totally normal.

     A side step from there to college, where I majored in scene design, and in the process took a play writing course. That was the first time I found out that I could write something other than research papers and was actually fairly good at writing fiction. It took years though before I tried again.

     Then, back to Cleveland where I interned at a local theater and discovered my true ‘calling’ as a costumer.

     Part two, New York City. Doesn’t ever aspiring theater person end up there at some point in their life? Well maybe not every one but—So, anyway, I discovered the joys of restaurant work. ‘Joys’ said with a definite note of sarcasm. I did manage to find one job in my field, working wardrobe at an Off Broadway theater. I left the city three years later after a short and very disastrous affair when the fight or flight syndrome kicked in and I chose flight.

     Part three, I landed in Chicago via Vista, where I worked at a home for character disordered boys for three years. That was a totally amazing experience, one I’ll never regret.

     Part four. I decided it was time to leave Chicago and move on, so I headed to Denver where I’ve been ever since. I found the perfect job, as the designer for a costume shop in the heart of the city. I met someone, and true to form it turned out to be a disaster. The one saving grace was our son. After the inevitable breakup I became a single parent, and didn’t do too badly at it if I do say so myself, despite a few flubs along the way. He turned into a quite wonderful young man and may, eventually, settle down with his present girlfriend.

     It was only very recently that I considered trying my hand at writing again. Now I’m addicted. I love the creation process, pulling from past experiences and the people I’ve known write primarily male/male ‘romances’. Some are theater oriented, many, in fact most of them involve some sort of mystery or suspense element, and they seem to break about 60/40 between reality oriented and the supernatural.

    Finally, I took the very frightening step of submitting one of them to a publisher and was amazed and elated when Silver Publishing accepted Colin’s story, ‘Everyone’s Man’.

   And that, for the moment at least, is my world.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. For a second there I have to admit that I was a bit jealous. Three years we've been dear friends and I never knew about the process of your life. I've always admired your privacy in your private life. I know what buttons to push or to avoid. You have this scary way of delivering a sentence across an email or IM that makes me scurry for misbehaving, well blame that on Sin.
    I was so excited when you submitted and lol now you're unlocking parts of you for us to see!


    The blog design is fantastic and now I'm gonna be hounding you for fun stories from New York and Chicago :) I know bout Denver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun stories? -cocking an eyebrow in amusement- And yes, I'm not exactly the most open person about my life, so what you see might just be all you get. Thanks for the compliment on the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will agree with Hales, learn something new every day.

    A very interesting life you have Edward, no wonder why your writing is excellent. Well that and talent *G*.

    Once again congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, kind sir. Now it's your turn to publish. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, fantastic! Congratulations. Nicely done sir. The blog is beautiful and that cover is breathtaking. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the cover is fantastic, thanks to Reese.

    ReplyDelete